Sen. McCain receives Bush endorsement

Former President George H.W. Bush, left, speaks in Houston, Monday, where he endorsed Republican presidential hopeful Sen. John McCain. Pat Sullivan, The Associated Press

AP

By Liz Sidoti

HOUSTON – John McCain picked up former President George H.W. Bush’s support on Monday, a critical blessing by a pillar of the Republican establishment whose members aren’t completely sold on the party’s next standard-bearer.

“Few men walking among us have sacrificed so much in the cause of human freedom. And I’m happy to help this remarkable patriot carry our party banner forward,” Bush said, standing alongside the GOP’s nominee-in-waiting in an airport hangar.

In endorsing McCain, the patriarch of the Republican political dynasty sent a strong message to a party base wary of the Arizona senator because of his reputation for bucking the GOP on several high-profile issues. The elder Bush also signaled to a vast network of Bush family activists and fundraisers that they, too, should swing behind the eventual nominee.

McCain said he was deeply honored by Bush’s support. “I think that our effort to continue to unite the party will be enhanced dramatically by President Bush’s words,” he added.