Champaign votes to install new pay stations in city lots

By Eric Heisig

The Champaign City Council voted Monday night on a number of issues pertaining to local transportation.

The Council unanimously voted to install two new electronic pay stations to be put into Parking Lot G, 43 E. University Ave. The new system is to be installed because the old system there has not been working for some time. Tom Bruno, council member at-large, said the city has lost a lot of revenue as a result.

Deb Feinen, council member at-large, said one of the biggest concerns she has for these new systems is that people parking in the lot will not know how to use them properly, and receive a ticket as a result.

“With the old ones, people didn’t always have the quarters they needed to pay,” Feinen said.

These new pay stations will accept quarters and credit and debit cards, and she said that new feature should help citizens to learn how to use them quickly.

The pay station in Parking Lot J, located at Sixth and Green streets, is also slated to be fixed in the near future.

The Council also unanimously passed an ordinance that adds to the city’s Transportation Master Plan, entitled “Champaign Moving Forward.” The new legislation is designed to better show the relationship between transportation and land use.

Rick Langlois, chairman of Champaign County Bikes, said he liked the plan and urged the council to vote on it. Langlois said he liked the idea of a bicycle infrastructure being used, because bicycles do not cause the damage that cars do.

“It can help make a great community even more attractive,” Langlois said.

Bruno also expressed his approval for the plan, and talked about people switching to other means of transportation — including bicycles and Segways – in order to deal with the parking problem in Champaign.

Champaign City Council holds its meetings on Tuesday nights at 7 p.m.