Odds and Ends: Swan to be reunited with former paddleboat friend

By ME Online

BERLIN – Petra the swan has a new home and so does her beloved swan-shaped paddleboat.

In 2006, Petra, a black swan, became so attached to the boat – shaped like an outsized white swan – that she refused to leave its side at a lake near a zoo in the German city of Muenster.

Petra and her paddleboat were taken to the zoo.

Zoo officials finally parted bird and boat last week after Petra settled down with a real white swan and the boat was returned to the lake.But the romance was short-lived. The zoo says that, on Saturday, her new beau flew off and sought out the company of other black swans.

A zoo statement says that Petra “appears to feel lonely” and is swimming around in an agitated state. The solution? On Friday, she will be taken back to the nearby lake and her faithful paddleboat.

Man tips more than $500 on newspaper purchase

CINCINNATI – An 18-year-old in Indiana will have the prom night she was dreaming of, thanks to a mystery man’s Easter trip.

Kelsey Tolliver was selling newspapers inside Cincinnati’s University Hospital last Sunday when she says a customer in his mid-20s wished her Happy Easter and said to keep the change.

At first, she thought he’d given her $4 for a Sunday paper costing $1.50. But then she realized the wad of bills was too thick – and she had $500 in twenties, plus four $1 bills.

She says she’d never seen the man before and couldn’t find him afterward.

Tolliver, says she gave half the money to her stepfather. The rest she’s using for a dress, shoes, purse and limo for her senior prom.

Michigan barber ordered to stop giving clients free beer

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. -The owner of Jude’s Barbershops will continue offering haircuts and shaves, but no more free beer.

The Michigan attorney general’s office says Thomas Martin’s 11 shops in the Grand Rapids area may not hand out a brew with each cut because he needs a liquor license.

Martin says he was just continuing an old-fashioned complimentary service for his customers that started years ago.

Police had told him that handing out free beer violated local and state laws.