Urbana schools to consider high school restructuring plan

By Paolo Cisneros

The Urbana School District 116 board of education was presented a high school restructuring plan yesterday during their study session at the Burkholder Administrative Service Center.

The plan consists of five key components, said Down Owen, assistant superintendent for curriculum and instruction. They are as follows:

1. Modifying the school day to include additional support for students struggling in math and literacy. Owen described this as a “directed study hall.” Another, more general, study hall would also be available.

2. Building academic teams of teachers in math, English, and science. Each group of teachers would share approximately 100 students and would be given time to meet within the school week.

3. Providing additional staff development.

4. Creating a director of student achievement and accountability. This position would entail work across the district, not only in the high school.

5. Implementing surveys that take into account the viewpoints of staff, students, and parents to see where the district needs to improve.

The board of education will vote on the proposed plan during their Apr. 15 meeting.