Odds and Ends: eBay puts ‘Wayne’s World’ landmark up for auction

By ME Online

BERWYN, Ill. — A towering sculpture of eight cars made famous in the movie “Wayne’s World” is up for sale on eBay.

Bids open at $50,000.

The suburban Chicago landmark is named the Spindle and features cars from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s skewered on a metal spike. The eBay listing says it will cost $100,000 to ship the 50-foot structure.

The Spindle – also known as the “Car Kabob” and the “Eight Car Pileup” – draws fans of the 1992 comedy starring Mike Myers and Dana Carvey.

Berwyn residents are divided on what to do with the structure, which is covered with rust and pigeon droppings. It was supposed to be dismantled last year to make way for a pharmacy, but preservation groups formed and protested.

California artist Dustin ShulerIf Warfield is forced to get rid of Szokie, she said, she’ll try to find him a good home that will love and care for him. built the piece in 1989.

The auction closes Thursday.

Ky. commission discusses keeping goats as livestock

FRANKFORT, Ky. – A central Kentucky planning board won’t get Gale Warfield’s goat, but the city commission might.

Officials in Frankfort are discussing whether goats are livestock or pets.

The issue came up in October when Warfield received a violation notice about the goat and duck she keeps as pets on her residential property. Warfield said the letter informed her that Szokie the goat had to go. Then she received a second letter saying he could stay while officials decide what he is.

Last month, the city’s planning commission proposed an amendment that would have allowed up to two farm animals to live in the city on land of five acres or more. Under the current regulations, farm animals are only permitted on tracts of five acres or more that are zoned industrial, commercial or agricultural.

A public meeting on the proposed changes was scheduled last week but the meeting was canceled and the amendment withdrawn. The members of the zoning committee said the proposed changes were unnecessary.

“The committee likes the ordinance as is,” said City Planning Director Gary Mueller.

“To me a goat is a farm animal.” Mueller said the City Commission would have to enact any changes. “The consensus of the committee is to recommend this to the City Commission, instead of amending any ordinance,” he said.

Warfield said she’s distraught because the situation is still unresolved.

“I don’t know what to do from one day to the next,” she said. “I’m at a loss for words on all this.”

She’ll plead her case one last time to the City Commission on April 28. If Warfield is forced to get rid of Szokie, she said, she’ll try to find him a good home that will love and care for him.

“He’s not a typical farm animal,” Warfield said. “I don’t want him to be sold to a stockyard for slaughter.”