University to host women’s conference

By Paolo Cisneros

The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts will serve as the home to the 2008 Biennial Conference for Woman, the longest running women’s conference in the United States.

The two-day event will run May 7 and 8 and feature four keynote speakers in addition to lectures by guest speakers a business expo.

Keynote speakers include Black Entertainment Television co-founder Sheila Crump Johnson, Pulitzer prize winning journalists Anna Quindlen and Ellen Goodman, Political correspondent Patricia O’Brian, and Oprah Winfrey’s personal trainer Bob Greene.

Officials said they estimate 3,000 women to attend the conference. Seventeen speakers will give 18 presentations, many of which will be themed.

Themes include “Integrating work, home, and family,” “Overcoming adversity,” and “Extraordinary women.”

Speakers and attendees from many different parts of the country will be on hand, officials said.

“One of the most important issues for us is giving women a conference where they can to learn about developing personally and professionally in their lives,” said conference manager of communications and marketing Renee Lyell. “This is really a premier women’s event.”

Ticket information is available on the conference’s website at: theconferenceforwomen.com.