Investigators search for missing Urbana family

By Brittany Abeijon

Urbana police have joined with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in the nationwide search for a missing family who were last seen at the Illinois Terminal, 45 E University Ave. in Champaign, on April 3.

Catoya Williams, Nathaniel Brooks and Catoya’s three children purchased tickets to California, but have not yet reached their destination or contacted acquaintances in California, according to an Urbana Police Department press release.

Police do not suspect any foul play.

They were last heard from on April 4 when they called from a borrowed mobile phone in Denver, Colo., according to the release. The family did not have a mobile phone of their own.

Urbana investigator Duane Smith said that pairing with the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children will help reach a broader audience.

“There are people from our two targeted cities, Denver and L.A. , to help with the search,” Smith said.

Smith said as of April 16, there have been no more details of the family’s location.

Catoya Williams is a 27-year-old black female, 5 feet 2 inches tall, weighing about 155 pounds and occasionally wears glasses, according to the release. Nathaniel Brooks is a 45-year-old black male, 5 feet 10 inches tall, 160 pounds.

Khalleel Hunt is a 9-year-old black male, 4 feet 6 inches tall, 70 pounds. Shaniya McKinney is a 6-year-old black female, 3 feet 11 inches tall, 55 pounds. Mark Barber Jr. is a 4-year-old black male, the appropriate height and weight for his age.

There are no clothing descriptions for the five subjects.

Urbana Police are requesting the public’s assistance. Anyone with information pertaining to this family should call the Urbana Police Dept., 217-384-2330, or Crime Stoppers, 217-333-TIPS.