Students discuss Champaign summer

By Eric Heisig

With the end of the school year less than a week away, students are doing one of two things: going away or staying in Champaign-Urbana.

For students who are staying in town, the two cities are still an exciting place to explore, even if there are fewer people around, said Andy Kraus, sophomore in LAS.

“At first it was a little strange to walk outside and see nobody,” Kraus said. “It was a ghost town, but after a while I really liked it.”

Being in Champaign last summer was enjoyable, Kraus said, and there were things to do even though nobody was around.

“The night life is just as good as during the school year,” Kraus said.

The Champaign Park District offers programs and activities throughout the city for University students, including public pools, tennis and basketball courts.

Ashley Wisniewski, sophomore in Media and Champaign resident, said the Taste of Champaign-Urbana, an event that gathers restaurants and music from the area, is always a fun event for her.

This year, the Taste of Champaign-Urbana runs from June 20 to June 22.

Still, for those students who are from the area, summer is just another time of the year.

“Most of the time you do stuff with college kids, but (during the summer) they are all gone,” said Rose Keane, sophomore in LAS and Champaign resident. “There is not much to do. Places are empty, so you can go in, but there is no point of going in if they are empty.”

Wisniewski said there is not a whole lot to do over the summer, especially for University students and other people around that age.

“I think for teenagers and young adults there should be more activities,” she said.

“More of the activities are geared toward younger kids. I think it would be good if the University still did stuff, especially for students that are taking summer classes.”

Kraus said he is living down here again this summer. Meanwhile, Keane gave some advice just to make living in Champaign during the summer bearable.

“Find a pack of friends you want to be around, spend all the time you can during the summer outside,” she said.