Vigil remembers earthquake victims

Graduate students Ming Wu, left, and Di Yun light candles at a vigil on the Quad on Thursday night in support of the people affected by the earthquake in China. The event included a moment of silence and a speech given in Chinese and English. Susan Kantor

By Renee Chacko

While the earthquake that hit the Sichuan Province in China last Monday continues to claim lives, students and other members of the Chinese community on campus gathered on the Quad Thursday night to remember those who have died.

The vigil included a speech given in both Chinese and English, a moment of silence for the victims and families and an opportunity for students to light candles and sing along to “We are the World.”

Student organizers from the Chinese Students and Scholars Association and the Overseas China Education Foundation organized the candlelight vigil on the north end of the main Quad in hopes of raising awareness for the recent events in China and money for relief.

“We are so sorry for those in China,” said Allen Xiong, volunteer at the vigil and a visiting scholar from a region near the affected province in China. “This event is a way to express ourselves. We also hope to advertise the event and collect money to help save the people in China.”

The speakers encouraged the crowd by reminding them that although sorrow and fear came out of the earthquake, persistence, faith and love have been the response and attitudes of those families that have been affected.

Some students feel that the recent events have helped China also gain global sympathy.

“I came to the vigil as a public display of support for the victims in China,” said Michael Chang, junior in FAA. “Although recent political events in China have showed it in a bad light, I think that the Chinese civilians have gained peoples’ sympathy around the world.”

Along with the vigil, organizers from both groups plan to collect donations through the American Red Cross for relief efforts in China. An on-campus fundraising session is scheduled for Friday from noon to 2 p.m. and on Saturday at the Farmer’s Market in Lincoln Square from 8 a.m. to noon.

While students continue to hear back from China about their relatives’ status, many feel obliged to help in any way that they can.

“We wanted to help because we are Chinese and our brothers and sisters are suffering,” said Yanbin Wu, vice president of the Chinese scholars association and graduate student in Engineering. “Some of my friends here are affected by the earthquake, so we feel obliged to help in any way we can. It’s the least that we can do.”