Parkland Pathway to assist transfer students get to UI

By Renee Chacko

In an effort to facilitate the experience of transfer students, the University has launched a dual-admissions program in conjunction with Parkland Community College. Starting in fall, the Parkland Pathway to Illinois program will admit 60 registered Parkland students in total to the University’s colleges of Engineering, ACES and FAA.

After receiving a Lumina Foundation grant to further the access of a four-year university to transfer students, the University set out to involve 10 community colleges across Illinois in similar dual programs. Parkland’s proximity to the University made it a natural choice.

“The University of Illinois and Parkland College have always had a good relationship,” said Kris Young, vice president of academic services at Parkland. “We are very excited that the University recognizes the barriers to our transfer students and wants to do something about it.”

Through the pathway program, Parkland students are guaranteed admission to the University if they meet certain requirements.

“There are many other reasons that students feel the U of I is out of reach and we want to let them know that they can be accepted to U of I,” Young said.

In order to be admitted to the program, Parkland students have to meet minimum GPA and credit hour standards. Taking classes at the University allows Parkland students to have access to University advising services, library resources and more course options.

Students would only have to pay Parkland College tuition for the first two years, with access to selected courses held on the University of Illinois campus. Parkland Pathway students would also be given the opportunity to live in University housing and have access to extracurricular activities.

“Sometimes our best students get lost in the transition,” said Young. “We want to make sure they don’t feel that way.”

For some transfer students, the program provides hope of an easier transition than they experienced.

“I got the impression that the University didn’t really want me here,” said Blake Anderson, graduate student in Engineering who transferred to the University as an undergraduate. “All the other students knew what was going on and the transfer students didn’t really know what resources to go to for help. I think the program is good also because it seems like it allows more classes to be available that normally wouldn’t be available at community college.”

Although only 20 students were chosen to participate in each of the three programs, Parkland hopes to expand eventually.

“We plan on getting feedback as time goes on and hope to be able to add more courses and participants to the program,” Young said.