Urbana creates public arts plan

By Eric Heisig

The Urbana City Council passed a motion Monday night establishing the city’s Public Arts Plan.

The plan, effective from 2008-2009, will facilitate various forms of art, be it music, sculpting, murals and television, all over the city.

“This is the time to announce this to student artists,” said Danielle Chynoweth, Ward 2 Council member. “We are basically going to be a granting agency.”

Another ordinance passed at the meeting states that five percent of gross revenue obtained from a festival liquor license will go into the Public Arts Fund.

In addition, the city of Urbana is now looking for people to serve on the Public Arts Commission, which will, among other duties, help choose some of the art that will be around the city.

The Council also heard comments from Amy Ando, Urbana resident and associate professor in ACES. Ando talked about the importance of full cutoff lighting in order to reduce light pollution and many other unwanted consequences.

“There are actually studies that show that light pollution poses a threat to human health,” Ando said, adding that a link has been found between light pollution and breast cancer.

Above all, Ando stressed that communities have saved lots of money by switching to full cutoff lighting. Charlie Smyth, Ward 1 Council member, has stressed the importance of switching in past meetings, including last week to tie in with the University District Street Lighting Equipment Standardization plan. The plan will involve a collaboration between the cities of Champaign and Urbana and the University to choose a lighting style to have in and around campus.

Other items voted on

The Council passed an ordinance that lowers the cost of a liquor license for restaurants by $500 this year and $500 next year. The ordinance will currently affect ten restaurants located in the city of Urbana.

The Council unanimously approved the Boneyard Creek Master Plan, which will affect the segment going from Main Street to University Avenue. After the approval, the city staff will be developing a contract to design the project.