Champaign City Council approves annual budget

By Eric Heisig

The Champaign City Council approved the city’s 2008-2009 budget during a study session Tuesday night.

The city’s budget, which now includes a one-time fee for the Multifamily Common Area Inspection Program, is set to be at $103.5 million. The General Operating Fund will be $66.8 million.

During the study session, no Council members offered any comments or concerns with the budget. The ordinance will be brought forth to the Council on June 3 for approval.

The city council also approved the University’s District Action Plan as a city council policy. The multimillion dollar program includes a number of suggested projects for Campustown and otherwise, including renovating and cleaning up Green Street between Fourth and First Streets.

The Council also approved the Landfill Reuse Park Plan, a plan to create the 90-acre former landfill on the north side of Route 150 between the city of Champaign and the village of Mahomet into a park, complete with a Frisbee golf course, a dog park and a BMX bike path. The project will be underway and will continue for the next several years.

Champaign City Council meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the City Building.