Illinois Disciples Foundation building sold to JSM Development

The Illinois Disciples Foundation announced that their building, pictured here, would be sold to JSM Properties. Wes Anderson

By Susan Kantor

The 21,000 square foot building that houses the Illinois Disciples Foundation has been sold to JSM Development, Inc. The realty company plans to commercially lease the space for retail and office use.

The building, which encompasses half a block at 610 E. Springfield Ave., housed offices, meeting spaces, Central Illinois Jobs with Justice and the Common Ground Food Co-op.

Jen Tayabji, executive director and campus minister for the Illinois Disciples Foundation, said they decided to get out of owning property because it had become a distraction from their mission work. The foundation began a strategic planning process last August, and the sale is meant to alleviate the financial burden the building had put on the foundation.

“It’s going to allow us to do more work in the community and put more money into the community,” Tayabji said.

JSM will assume ownership on July 1, and Tayabji said the foundation is in the process of moving items out of the building. The organizations will be temporarily renting an office in downtown Champaign until they decide on their long-term needs.

Tayabji said many groups use the building for meetings and events, and the foundation plans to use different venues on campus for their meeting spaces after the move.

The Common Ground Food Co-op had plans to move to Lincoln Square Village in Urbana, and those plans are on schedule, said Jacqueline Hannah, general manager of the co-op. Hannah said they have a temporary lease extension with JSM, allowing them to stay until August 15.

Jill Guth, director of development for JSM Management, Inc., said when the property was made open for bids, the realty company researched the location and was pleased with its benefits.

Guth said JSM is going to wait until they possess the property to decide on any changes to the building. She said the company will have to see the type of occupants that will move into the space before they know the internal improvements that will need to be made.

Construction on the building began in the 1950s and was completed in 1968.