U of I receives awards, new degree approval

By Kate Szyszka

All items on the Illinois Board of Higher Education’s agenda passed at their meeting Tuesday in Springfield. The agenda included several grants aimed toward improving higher education in Illinois.

“The Board of Higher Education met on Tuesday and approved several grant programs,” said Don Sevener, director of External Relations for the IBHE.

Among the grants that passed included ones to diversify faculty in Illinois colleges and universities and new units of instruction at several state institutions. The University now has one of these new units – authorizing degrees in LAS for African American Studies.

The University received 12 new awards to provide financial assistance for minority students pursuing graduate and professional degrees as part of the Diversifying Higher Education Faculty in Illinois Program.

The Board also addressed the state’s nursing shortage with a presentation describing the large demand for nurses in Illinois.

“There was a very informative and light discussion that described the state’s nursing shortage,” said Sevener.

Some other items on the agenda include approval of several new associate degree programs at community colleges, programs aimed at diversifying higher education institutions.