Council inspection proposal will help ensure building safety

By Eric Heisig

The Champaign City Council will be looking at a facilities master plan at their study session Tuesday night, designed to create a prioritized list of projects and needs the city should follow.

In a report to the Council prepared by Public Works director Dennis Schmidt, the city of Champaign normally budgets about $1.8 million annually for building maintenance and building improvement needs

The proposed master plan would require Public Works to inspect existing buildings to identify any problems that need to be addressed, estimate the cost of any maintenance or repairs and then set a schedule for when the repairs will be completed.

The buildings included on the list that need maintenance and repairs include the city building, the Champaign Police Department, the police evidence building and the main fire station for the Champaign Fire Department.

If the plan is approved, it will be sent to a city council meeting at a later date for final approval. Champaign City Council meets every Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the City Building.