Parkland student killed in motorcycle crash

By Eric Heisig

A Champaign man enrolled at Parkland Community College was killed after a vehicle accident Wednesday morning.

According to a Champaign County Coroner press release, 20-year-old Caleb Roch died at Carle Hospital after his motorcycle collided with a semi-truck on the 1600 block of Interstate Drive around 6 a.m.

According to a press release from the Champaign Police Department, the semi-truck was traveling south when the the collision occurred as Roch tried to pass the truck on the right. The motorcycle then slid underneath the truck’s tire.

Police said the man driving the truck was not injured and the accident is still being investigated. The driver, a 51-year-old man from Danville, Ill., had not been issued any citations by police Wednesday afternoon.

Due to the accident, policed had blocked off Interstate Drive from Mattis to Farber drives until the site was investigated and cleaned up. The area is now open to all traffic.

Roch was an active volunteer for the Champaign Police Department and had been looking forward to testing for a position, according to a department release.