UPDATE: UI student’s candidacy hits another obstacle

By Eric Heisig

University student and state representative candidate Frank Calabrese may have hit another hurdle in his campaign.

According to an article from the News-Gazette, Chicago attorney Michael J. Kasper has filed a request for judicial review for Calabrese’s papers. Calabrese is attempting to run in the 103rd district, against incumbent Rep. Naomi Jakobsson.

This is not the first time Calabrese’s candidacy has come into question. In May, the Champaign County Electoral Board ruled that Calabrese’s candidacy was valid, with his papers being in line with election laws, after a local fire fighter questioned his eligibilty.

Calabrese said he wishes that he could move on with the campaign itself.

“I’m a little bemused that Kasper and the state Democrats are spending so much time with this,” Calabrese told The Daily Illini. “I don’t understand why they can’t just do this through the election process.”

Jakobsson said she had not heard about the new inquiry and was not involved with it, but that Kasper has a right to do what he is doing.

“It is important to follow the law, and that is all that these people are trying to do.” Jakobsson said.

When asked about a student potentially representing the district that encompasses the University in Springfield, the University’s Public Affairs office said that they do not comment on political issues.

Phone calls made to Kasper were not immediately returned. No court date has been set.