Urbana grants funds to community organizations

By Eric Heisig

The Urbana City Council passed a number of ordinances Monday approving block grants for various organizations in the community.

A Woman’s Fund – A Woman’s Place, 1304 E. Main St., the Center for Women in Transition, 508 E. Church St., Champaign, and C-U Independence Apartments, 610 E. Kerr Ave., had funds unanimously passed for them to use for maintenance and repairs needed on their respective buildings.

The city granted $4,108 for the listed repairs in the corresponding memo, which among the three locations include repairing a chimney, installing an automatic sprinkler system and finishing a dining room floor. In addition, the Evans House for the Center for Women In Transition, located at 506 E. Church St., Champaign, will be installing a new air conditioning system.

The repairs were already factored into the budget for Fiscal Year 2008-9 and are covered by the Community Development Block Grant. On April 21, the Council passed the city of Urbana and Urbana HOME Consortium Annual Action Plan, which helps cover fees such as these.

The Urbana City Council meets on Mondays at 7 p.m. in the Urbana City Building, 400 S. Vine St.