Police encouraging vigilance after pair of recent assaults in Campustown

By Joanna Aguirre

Champaign Police officers handed out more than 200 fliers on Thursday to alert residents of two crimes that occurred at the 500 block of east Healey Street.

The first assault took place on June 14, when an unlocked door led to home invasion, said Lt. Brad Yohnka.

“At about 6:30 a.m. the victim woke up to a gentlemen rubbing her inappropriately,” Yohnka said. “She became alert and the assailant ran away.”

The suspect did steal something from the victim’s purse, possibly a wallet or cell phone. Yohnka could not say which for certain.

The assailant is described as a male of tan complexion, possibly Hispanic, wearing a blue t-shirt and black shorts.

The second assault occurred on Sunday July 6.

“At about 2:16 a.m. a young lady was walking home, while she was going up her stairwell a man grabbed her from behind and tried to sexually assault her,” Yohnka said. “She fought back and was able to yell for help; the suspect then fled the scene.”

The victim described the attacker as a 25-year-old Hispanic male, weighing about 160 lbs. and approximately 5-foot-7.

Police officials believe the same man could have committed both crimes.

“We can’t say that it was the same man for sure, but the descriptions are pretty close,” Yohnka said on Friday. “We just want everyone to be cautious and alert at all times.”

Lt. Yohnka encouraged citizens to walk in groups, lock their residence doors and report any suspicious activity to police.