UPDATE: Police elaborate on Sunday’s sexual assault

By Kate Szyszka

Campus police have released further information on the sexual assault of a 19-year-old woman early Sunday morning.

The victim went to the Campustown bar Station 211, 211 E. Green St., then went to a campus fraternity. While she was walking home, the suspect picked the victim up, said Lt. Roy Acree of the University Police Department. She was not forced into the vehicle, but Acree declined to elaborate further.

The suspect in the incident is described as a white male in his 20s, with a “tall and lanky build,” short brown hair, facial stubble, a very tan complexion, possibly brown eyes and a “Southern accent,” according to a police report.

The suspect picked up the victim in a green and gray colored conversion van and drove to the Arboretum parking lot in Urbana south of the intersection of Lincoln and Florida avenues.

The suspect undid his seat belt and battered the victim, Acree said. Evidence at the scene suggested she was removed from the van and sexually assaulted in the grass east of the lot, according to a police report. The victim told police she fought back against her attacker, but she could not remember anything else. Acree could not comment on the extent of her injuries.

The victim was discovered by passerby around 4 a.m. near the area of the attack on Hazelwood Drive in Urbana..

“This was a very violent attack and we would like to prevent this from happening again,” Acree said.

Acree advises that students avoid walking home alone at night.

“If it is unavoidable for students to walk alone, they should remain in well-lit areas and call ahead to their destination so they know that they are coming,” Acree added.