Former shooting guard Harrington to rejoin Illini family

By Kate Szyszka

Former Illini shooting guard, Sean Harrington will be returning to the University serving as visiting academic position of basketball operations.

“We are pleased to have Sean join our staff,” head coach Bruce Weber said in a press release from the athletic department. “I enjoyed watching him in college, he was a very smart, team-first player who could shoot the lights out of the ball. He’s been around basketball his entire life, growing up as the son of a coach and playing for his father, Jim, who was one of the great coaches in Illinois high school basketball history. Sean has gained great experience in this business over the last five years.

“That experience, coupled with his passion for the University of Illinois and Fighting Illini Basketball, will make him a valuable addition to our program.””

After graduating from the University in 2003 with a degree in advertising, Harrington held positions with the basketball departments at the University of Kansas, Northern Illinois University, and St. Louis University.

“I am so excited to be coming back home to Illinois,” Harrington said. “Playing for my state school was the thrill of a lifetime and now I have the opportunity to return to the Fighting Illini basketball family. I’ve followed all the success the program has continued to have since I graduated.

“I’m looking forward to working with Coach Weber and learning from one of the best coaches in college basketball, and also seeing all that orange in the Assembly Hall once again.”