Suspect arrested for Campus Recreation thefts

By Kate Szyszka

Following a rash of thefts at Campus Recreation facilities, University police have arrested a man suspected of stealing from guests’ lockers.

Robert Ward has been linked to roughly a dozen thefts, said Ed Morford, assistant director of risk management.

Police were able to find the suspect because he used stolen credit cards.

“The stores he used the cards at captured him on video. Police then lined the video up with surveillance at CRCE and the times he used his card to check in,” said Sgt. Tom Geis of University Police.

The suspect opened lockers in the men’s locker room to steal items while their owners were working out.

“I think he generally looked for really easy opportunities,” said Morford. “He probably watched as people in the locker room typed in the code and then stole the items from their lockers.”

Among the items stolen were laptops, cell phones, credit cards and MP3 players. Roughly several thousand dollars worth of items were stolen, said Geis.

“We really discourage people from bringing expensive items with them,” Morford said.

Campus Recreation has been working to reduce the likelihood of theft in campus facilities.

“It’s really a partnership with Campus Recreation and its users,” said Morford. “We put up educational signs about how to use the lockers properly and installed lockers that allow people to use their own locks.”

The best way to avoid theft is to not bring anything expensive at all, said Geis.

“If you don’t want it stolen, don’t bring it,” he said. “These lockers aren’t Fort Knox.”