Police report another attempted sexual assault on campus

By Meghan Montemurro

An attempted sexual assault on campus was reported to the Champaign Police Department.

A 20-year-old University student was walking in the area of First and John streets at 2:30 a.m. Saturday when she was allegedly grabbed and then dragged to a driveway between two parked cars. The attacker was scared away by a person that witnessed the incident.

The suspect has been described as a Caucasian male, approximately 21 years old, tan complexion with an athletic build, a buzz haircut, dark hair, 5-foot-8 to 5-foot-10 wearing jeans and possibly a red t-shirt.

This is the fourth report of a sexual assault on campus since the middle of June. A woman awoke and discovered an intruder in her apartment on June 14 touching her inappropriately who fled when she noticed him. On July 6, a 21-year-old woman reported a man attempting to sexually assault her at the 500 block of east Healey Street around 2:15 a.m. in her apartment complex. A 19-year-old woman was battered and sexually assaulted on July 13 near the 1800 block of south Lincoln Avenue between 3 a.m. and 4 a.m.

The Champaign Police Department is continuing to investigate the incident and suggests students be prepared by traveling with a friend, staying in groups, walking only in lighted areas after dark and remaining alert by watching for signs of trouble, trusting your instincts and attract help in any way you can if you feel you are in danger.

The police are seeking help from the community and are asking citizens to contact the Investigation Division at 217-351-4545 with information about the crime or call CrimeStoppers at 217-373-8477 if people wish to remain anonymous.