Griffey acquired by White Sox

By Daniel Johnson

After speculation throughout the year as to what would happen to Ken Griffey Junior, the talk can now stop, with the future Hall of Famer all but certainly going to the Chicago White Sox.

Griffey, 38, only needs approval of Major League Baseball for the alleged trade to be completed, one that will land on baseball’s trading deadline.

Griffey approved the trade Thursday morning and will reportedly be traded for Sox righty Nick Masset and second baseman Danny Richar. Masset has 44.2 inning pitched on the year with 32 strikeouts and 21 walks. He was acquired by the Sox in the trade of Brandon McCarthy to the Rangers for he and John Danks.

Richar, 25, has fluctuated between the majors and minors during his career and has spent time on the disabled list throughout this year.

Reports stated that the Sox and Reds will divide the remainder of Griffey’s salary for the rest of this year, along with his $4 million buyout for the 2009 season.

Griffey will have to find a spot in the White Sox outfield, likely in center, which he has not played in years. Carlos Quentin and Jermaine Dye are mainstays for the Southsiders in left and right, respectively, so it is unlikely that Griffey will fit in a corner outfield position.

Since Paul Konerko has been on the DL, Nick Swisher has been filling in at first, but with Konerko healthy, Swisher has been the Sox starting center fielder. Manger Ozzie Guillen will have to determine if Griffey will be his everyday center fielder or if the 1997 American League MVP will split time with Brian Anderson and Dewayne Wise.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this story.