Odds and Ends: Diaper saves toddler’s life from 30-foot fall in Brazil

By The Associated Press

SAO PAULO, Brazil – A diaper has saved the life of an 18-month-old boy, breaking his fall from a third-floor apartment window, officials said Thursday.

Caua Felipe Massaneiro survived a 30-foot fall because his diaper snagged on a security spike embedded in the concrete wall around his building in the Brazilian city of Recife.

The child was treated for minor fractures at the Hospital Memorial Sao Jose, where spokesman Gilberto Tenorio said he was in stable condition.

Police have opened an investigation to determine how the toddler fell and “if parental negligence was one of the causes,” said the officer who declined to be identified because she was not authorized to speak to the press.

Ant infestation shuts down athletic fields at Athens park

ATHENS, Tenn. – An invasion of fire ants following heavy rains in East Tennessee has shut down all athletic fields at the Athens Regional Park.

City Parks and Recreation Director Austin Fesmire told the Chattanooga Times Free Press that no one noticed any ant infestation on the soccer and softball fields as late as Tuesday but anthills began appearing on Wednesday. Now hundreds of anthills are visible.

Closed signs are posted and the fields are closed indefinitely. Fesmire said a treatment product will be applied in the next few days.

Fesmire said it is the first ant infestation on the turf grass. Recent rains apparently created ideal conditions for the ants, he said.