Schmitt resigns from student senate seat

By Paul Biasco

On Aug. 27, Student Trustee Paul Schmitt formally resigned from his position as a student senator representing LAS, and Max McClintock, who had been slated as Schmitt’s replacement, will not accept the seat.

McClintock, sophomore in LAS, received the second most votes in the spring election and was in line to replace Schmitt.

“Once I didn’t win the Senate seat, I got involved in other things,” McClintock said. “I don’t have the time to do it now.”

The LAS-D seat of the senate, which Schmitt held, was a highly contested position, and the Political Science Club had a debate for it, said Jaclyn O’Day, student body president. There were 17 students who ran for the four spots allotted for LAS students.

The seat will now be presented to the next highest vote getter, Trenton Morrow, sophomore in LAS.

Rohit Dhake, senior in Business and vice president internal for the Senate, said that he was informed of McClintock’s decision Sunday evening and has not proposed the seat to Morrow.

McClintock said that he had not been informed of Schmitt’s resignation as of Sunday afternoon.

Schmitt, senior in LAS, delivered his resignation letter to student body president O’Day around 3 p.m., before the first meeting of the Senate for the fall semester.

O’Day, senior in LAS, said the executive board of the Senate looks forward to filling the vacant seat, as well as others of senators who have recently resigned.

Schmitt, who will retain his position as student trustee, said he had been thinking about giving up his seat on the Senate over the summer and decided it was the right decision.

He said his main reason for the resignation was the importance of his duty on the Board of Trustees.

“The reason that pushed me is that I am responsible for a $4.2 billion budget,” Schmitt said.

Schmitt said another reason for his decision is that he does not want a divided student body over the issue of his holding both positions. He said that he has been working more closely with the Senate than he had anticipated with his position as student trustee and that holding a seat would not be necessary.

“Justin (Randall, former student body president) and other student body presidents complained that the trustees ignored them,” Schmitt said. “I’m working a lot closer with the Student Senate than I had anticipated.”