Odds and Ends: Fond du Lac man consumed 23,000 Big Macs since ’72

By The Associated Press

FOND DU LAC, Wis. – Don Gorske says his obsessive-compulsive disorder drove him to eat 23,000 Big Macs in 36 years, but he has no intention of denying himself the burgers.

“It’s my compulsion. I enjoy them every day,” said Gorske, 54. “I need two to fill me up.”

The Fond du Lac man said he hit the 23,000 milestone last month, continuing an obsession that began May 17, 1972.

Gorske has kept every burger receipt in a box. He says he was always fascinated with numbers, and watching McDonald’s track its number of customers motivated him to track his own consumption.

Despite a diet some would call unhealthy, Gorske says he keeps himself in good shape. He says he’s 6-foot-2, weighs 185 pounds and walks as many as 10 miles a day.

He can instantly recall the eight days in which he failed to satisfy his craving. One was in 1988, the day his mother died, to respect a request she made.

Scottsdale cops nab driver of photo radar van for DUI

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Police in Scottsdale say they’ve arrested a man driving a photo-enforcement van on suspicion of drunken driving.

Sgt. Mark Clark says the van owned by Scottsdale-based Redflex Traffic Systems was spotted driving erratically by a citizen Saturday evening. Clark says in a statement released Tuesday that the witness reported the driver had hit the curb twice and nearly caused a crash.

A Scottsdale officer caught up with the van, saw it weaving and made a traffic stop.

The driver was identified as 53-year-old Redflex employee Roderick M. Ruffin. He reportedly failed field sobriety tests and was booked and released on an extreme DUI charge.

A Redflex statement says Ruffin had undergone a background check that came back clean. He has been fired.