Odds and Ends: Scotland police receive call about pet’s non-floppy ears

STIRLING, Scotland – Your rabbit’s ears aren’t floppy? Sorry, that’s not an emergency.

So said police in Scotland when a woman rang the emergency 999 number to discuss her concerns about her new pet. She said the newspaper ad promised floppy ears, but flop they would not.

Central Scotland Police said Monday they were equally unimpressed by another caller who complained that a passing car had splashed water on him, and by someone else inquiring about the postal code for a town’s post office.

“Whilst officers and staff are dealing with these frivolous matters that a member of the public has deemed so serious as to call 999, they are not dealing with genuine emergency calls,” said Chief Inspector Alan Stewart.

Vt. man biking to Calif. as warm up for 508-mile race

PITTSFIELD, Vt. – A Vermont man planning to ride in a 508-mile bicycle race in California is taking the long way to the starting line. He’s pedaling there.

Joe Desena, 39, says he is leaving Monday on his 3,000-mile trip west, which is expected to take about two weeks. He’s planning to be in the field on Oct. 4 for the Furnace Creek 508, which goes from Santa Clarita, Calif., to Twentynine Palms, Calif..

Desena, who has participated in dozens of adventure races, triathlons and ultramarathons, says there’s no better way to get in shape for the race than to bike across country.

From Associated Press reports