Jamar Smith to serve probation, wear alcohol-monitoring bracelet

Jamar Smith speaks with reporters after his hearing at the Champaign County Courthouse Wednesday morning, Sept.17, 2008. Claire Napier

By Jeremy Werner

Former Illini basketball player Jamar Smith entered a stipulation with the state Wednesday to serve 18 months probation, enter an alcohol addiction rehabilitation program and wear an alcohol-monitoring ankle bracelet.

Smith was also sentenced to 180 days in prison, but he won’t have to serve any prison time if he lives up to the conditions of his probation. Judge Richard Klaus set a December 22 remission hearing to review Smith’s progress.

Smith is prohibited from drinking alcohol as part of his probation. If Smith fails to live up to the agreement, he could serve six months in prison.

Smith was in court for an alleged violation of his probation, on July 25. Police were called to an altercation outside of Fubar, 306 « E. Green St. in Champaign. Police noticed Smith at the scene and knew drinking alcohol was in violation of his probation. But they did not interact with Smith until he returned to the scene repeatedly.

When questioned by police, Smith said he drank three beers. “I know I’m not supposed to, but it’s no big deal,” Smith said, according to police.

Smith was serving a 24-month probation for conviction of aggravated driving under the influence of alcholol after a Feb. 12, 2007 car accident in which passenger and teammate Brian Carlwell suffered a severe concussion. Carlwell transferred to San Diego State this summer.

Smith said he plans on enrolling at the University of Southern Indiana in the spring and will play on the basketball team. He will enter alcohol abuse treatment in Evansville, Ind., at the Amethyst House, an addiction treatment services center.

Smith must wear a Secure Continuous Remote Alcohol Monitor, or SCRAM, device. A SCRAM is an alcohol-monitoring system worn around the ankle. SCRAM measures a person’s alcohol content through his sweat glands. Smith cannot tamper with the device and must wear it 24-hours-a-day, including during basketball practices.