Student Senate discusses funds

By Melissa Zieff

The Illinois Student Senate discussed the renewal of the yearly contract to fund graduate student mixers, Wednesday night. The senate also discussed donating $1,000 to IHelp’s Volunteer Day.

The Illinois Student Senate will vote on Sept. 24 whether to renew the contract that funds the mixers.

Graduate student mixers are social events that give graduate students the chance to interact and get to know each other.

Robert Gregg, student senator and chair of the Graduate Student Association, feels that these mixers are important to the graduate student community.

Gregg, a graduate student, said he believes these events allow graduate students to relax and meet new friends in a social environment, since the majority of a graduate student’s time is focused on studying.

He said that one of the goals of the senate is to identify with the students and solve their problems.

By continuing to back funding for mixers, the senate accomplishes what the organization originally set out to do.

At the meeting, the senate also passed an amendment to give $1,000 for snacks and drinks to the volunteer organization IHelp for Volunteer Day.

The Illinois Student Senate meets every Wednesday night at 7 p.m. in the Illini Union.