Students react to comedy on the Quad

By Colleen Vest

The Quad was filled with laughter and applause Saturday night as students tried to get a glimpse of two comedians performing standup routines in front of the Union.

The Illini Union Board presented the “Must See Comedy Night” featuring Mindy Kaling, who plays Kelly Kapoor and writes for the NBC’s “The Office,” and Judah Friedlander, who plays Frank Rossitano on NBC’s “30 Rock.” Both performed a standup routine and answered questions from the audience.

“I really like performing at colleges,” Kaling said. “The love from college kids is so pure.”

Kaling’s standup covered everything from Perez Hilton’s Web site to being mistaken at Home Depot as her father’s wife to R&B; music.

“I remember going to comedy shows in college, so it’s great to be on the other side,” Kaling said.

Morgan Duerksen, junior in ACES, said she enjoyed the show.

“Mindy was so funny,” Duerksen said. “I loved her standup but she was different from her character.”

Friedlander, who wore one of his trademark trucker hats, a World Champion T-shirt and oversized glasses, followed Kaling’s act.

“There are a lot of elements to deal with when performing outside,” Friedlander said. “But the weather was good and the crowd was awesome.”

Friedlander worked the crowd and talked about sports, college majors and martial arts. He took aim at everything from iPhones to Michael Phelps to suggesting the country’s borders be sealed by the company that makes CD wrappers.

“It was great to see Mindy and Judah,” Duerksen said. “I knew Mindy would be good, but Judah was hilarious.”

Tim Maier, senior in Engineering, agreed.

“I really liked Judah’s standup,” he said. “He has such a dry sense of humor.”

Kaling and Friedlander offered advice for aspiring comedic writers. They took questions after the show about getting started in comedy and about life on TV sets, including make-out scenes and working with other actors.

“The question and answer part was really cool,” Maier said. “They weren’t too serious and were really open, so it was still funny.”

Kaling and Friedlander stuck around afterwards to sign autographs and pose for pictures.

“I am so impressed that the Union Board got two excellent comedians to come here,” said Ashley Ford, junior in Engineering. “The show was so awesome. I loved it.”