Illinois family legacy continues

By Rebecca Spizzirri

Homecoming is no new phenomenon to Nancy Miller, the youngest member of her family’s century-long alumni legacy.

The first family member graduated just before 1900, beginning a long history entwined in both the University and the Champaign-Urbana community.

Most notable of the family’s many graduates is Mark Van Doren, who won a Pulitzer Prize for poetry in 1940; and Harold Miller, a notable lawyer in the community.

Miller’s grandmother, Dorothea Fredrickson Smith, was the first woman in the family to graduate from the University. Her great-grandparents purchased a house in Urbana for the family’s many students to live in, Smith said.

“I suppose they wanted to keep an eye on them,” she said.

Smith became a professor of educational psychology at the University after earning her degrees. She encouraged her children and grandchildren to attend the University and become part of the tradition as well.

Smith continues to be involved with the University for more than just Homecoming week. She funds two memorial scholarships in the College of ACES in memory of her parents.

“I try to give back by doing whatever I see that needs doing,” Smith said. “That’s part of what the University has done for me and my family – and for all of us, really.”

Smith’s daughters are both alumnae and her grandchildren Kevin and Nancy Miller are current students at the University. The family’s history has created unique experiences for its students.

“It’s neat knowing that they’ve all gone through the same thing that I’m going through right now,” said Kevin Miller, senior in LAS.

Nancy Miller has found her family’s advice on courses to be helpful.

“I had the same econ professor as my mom and brothers,” said Nancy Miller, sophomore in LAS, “It helped me know what to expect.”

Having so many family members close by like her aunt, Nicole Miller, another alumna, was further incentive to attend the University, Miller said.

Though the family has been cheering on the Illini for more than a century, their Homecoming traditions have varied from year to year.

One of the current traditions is to hold a reunion at Kam’s after one game each year.

Kevin and Nancy are excited for the Homecoming football game too. Nancy will be in the stands while Kevin plans to watch on TV