Cancer awareness campaign begins

Jessica Remke, senior in LAS, receives a Save 2nd Base T-Shirt after donating to Colleges Against Cancer Monday on t

Jessica Remke, senior in LAS, receives a “Save 2nd Base” T-Shirt after donating to Colleges Against Cancer Monday on t

By Jennifer Wheeler

As pink bras hang between sandwich boards and the head-turning mantra “Do You Like Boobs?” is screamed, people at the University know it is that time of year where yelling about breasts is perfectly normal.

This week, Colleges Against Cancer is holding its annual “Got Pink?” Breast Cancer Awareness Week in front of Illini Union from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. This nationwide student organization works toward educating others about this disease and raising money to fund research to cure cancer. The events this week focus on breast cancer awareness.

“We want to inform the community, talk about the risks of cancer,” said Sarah Serviss, vice president at the University’s chapter of Colleges Against Cancer and a senior in LAS. “(Students) may not be getting it right now, but we can reduce the risk of breast cancer in the future.”

Educational activities held during the week include displaying pink sandwich boards in front of Henry Administration Building and Noyes Lab and passing out fliers on the Quad – both presenting breast cancer statistics. Volunteers in this organization also give postcards away to remind women to schedule a mammogram, Serviss said.

“They know about breast cancer and know it’s an issue,” Serviss said. “But they don’t know who’s at risk. They can come to talk to us, and we can give them more information.”

Another event the organization planned is its apparel sale. For $5, people can buy T-shirts that read “Save 2nd Base” with two baseballs pictured across the chest. The organization is also selling long-sleeved shirts that display “Hope Love and Cure” for $10 and basketball shorts from its September dodgeball tournament for testicular cancer that say “Protect Your Balls.”

Serviss said the organization sold more than a thousand shirts last year and is trying to beat that number. The money collected from the sale helps fund other activities promoting cancer awareness in the community. Money not spent on activities is donated to the American Cancer Society.

Although some people may believe that breast cancer concerns only females, just as many males participate in the week-long event, said Tina Oria, co-chair of Cancer Awareness Department in Colleges Against Cancer and senior in AHS.

“A lot of guys ask questions, which is really nice,” Oria said. “A lot of guys care about their moms.”

“Got Pink?” Breast Cancer Awareness Week also serves as a springboard for Relay For Life.

“Breast cancer is as serious as testicular cancer,” said Arnold Montenegro, freshman in LAS. “As long as we find a cure we can help people see tomorrow.”