UI offers support, education on sex

By Kelly Gibbs

According to Trojan Brand Condoms, the University ranks 26th among the 139 most sexually healthy institutions. The criteria included students’ opinions of health centers, hours of operation, appointment procedures, sexual awareness programs, availability of contraceptives and condoms, HIV and STD testing, anonymous advice, outreach programs, peer groups, sexual assault programs and Web site usability.

The University has made attempts to improve the sexual health on campus by implementing programs, such as the freshman sexual education course.

According to the University’s Campus Acquaintance Rape Education Web site, the First Year Campus Acquaintance Rape Education workshops are peer-led, mandatory training for all incoming freshmen about how to support someone who has experienced sexual violence.

“The biggest impact these workshops have on students is learning how to best support someone who has been a victim of sexual assault,” said Ross Wantland, coordinator of Sexual Assault Education. “It is also extremely important to get the word out about where victims can receive support on campus.”

Still, some students who participated in the workshop questioned its effectiveness.

“The sexual education course freshman year was too extensive and did little to change my views on the importance of protecting myself from rape and other issues regarding sexual health concerns,” said Garrett Nix, junior in Media.

The workshop focuses on how to offer support and assistance to survivors of sexual victimization, as well as what campus and community resources are available. In addition, the program covers prevention and risk reduction strategies specific to sexual assault on campus.

“When you have a large and impersonal assembly or program geared toward sexual awareness, it will not change the actions of students or make an impact on the sexual health awareness on campus,” said Paul Casperson, senior in LAS.

The Trojan Evolve campaign is designed to incorporate sexual awareness and to encourage participation in an ongoing effort to improve America’s sexual health.

Creative options have been implemented at the University. One such program is Student Senate’s Condom Crawl, in which members of student senate go to bars and pass out condoms and information regarding McKinley’s sexual health programs and facilities.

“In the past the student senate has worked on a ‘condom crawl’,” said former Student Body President Justin Randall. “This program is incredibly successful in spreading the word to students regarding sexual health because the subject was made more approachable being presented in a casual student-to-student fashion.”

According to McKinley’s Sexual Heath Web site, the overall goal of Sexual Health Education through McKinley Health Center is to provide information and support to students, allowing them to be sexually healthy adults.

Understanding that sexuality is an integral component of self, the program services are designed to enable students to make decisions and modify behaviors to positively impact their health, academic success and over all well-being.

Some of these alternate programs have proven to be more helpful and enjoyable to students.

“Last year at Bromley Hall we had a woman come in and talk to us about sexual health, and she was absolutely hilarious and made the issue a lot less awkward,” said Ali Lively, sophomore in LAS, “I think it’s important to have creative options for students to learn about sexual health.”