Actress Hudson offers reward for recovery of missing nephew

Two young men pray outside the Hudson household, where two were found dead in Chicago on Friday. David Banks, The Associated Press

AP

By Rupa Shenoy

CHICAGO – Jennifer Hudson and her family offered a $100,000 reward Sunday for the safe return of her missing nephew, as investigators looked for forensic evidence near the home where her mother and brother were found shot to death.

Mourners dressed in their Sunday best milled outside the childhood home of the singer and Oscar-winning actress, along with investigators seeking clues to the whereabouts of 7-year-old Julian King, the son of Jennifer Hudson’s sister, Julia.

In a statement Sunday evening from publicist Lisa Kasteler, Jennifer Hudson appealed to the public for its help, offering the reward and asking that any information be given to Chicago police.

“Jennifer and her family appreciate the enormous amount of love, support and prayers they have received while she and her family try to cope with this tragedy and continue the search for Julian,” the statement said.

Chicago police ramped up search efforts for Julian around the Englewood neighborhood, where Hudson grew up, and transferred custody of a “person of interest” in the killings to state authorities.

“Detectives are working 24 hours on this case,” said Chicago police spokeswoman Monique Bond. “There’s a lot of forensic evidence. We have to work the evidence and try and solve this case. Most importantly, we want to find the child.”

An Amber Alert remained in effect Sunday for Julian, who disappeared on Friday, the day the bodies of his grandmother, Darnell Donerson, 57, and 29-year-old uncle Jason Hudson were found in the home they all shared on the city’s South Side. The deaths were ruled homicides.

The Amber Alert listed William Balfour, the estranged husband of Jennifer Hudson’s sister, Julia Hudson, as a suspect in a “double homicide investigation.”

Authorities said the search for Julian would be citywide, but on Sunday residents and officers focused their efforts “in the immediate vicinity” of the home, said police spokesman Dan O’Brien.

Police said they did not have a motive, but called the case “domestic related.” Bond said Balfour had not been charged.

“There’s a lot of forensic evidence. We have to work the evidence and try and solve this case,” Bond said Sunday.

Bond said no weapon had been found at the Hudson home, a three-story house sandwiched by vacant lots littered with trash. Investigators on Sunday moved in and out of the home, examining the trash.

Mourners stopped by the Hudson home, many laying teddy bears along the fence around the property. Others signed a cross that rested on the fence.

“We love you,” one message read. Another said, “We’ll find the people who did this.”

Police officers were instructed to place fliers with Julian’s picture and description in every business in the area.

Jennifer Hudson, who won an Academy Award for best supporting actress in 2007 for her role in “Dreamgirls,” was in Chicago with family during the weekend, her sister said. Her publicist did not disclose her whereabouts, but the Cook County medical examiner’s office confirmed she had identifed the bodies of her mother and brother.

Bond said Balfour, who had been in police custody since Friday, was transferred Sunday to the Illinois Department of Corrections for reasons “unrelated to this investigation.”

Associated Press writers Caryn Rousseau and Sophia Tareen contributed to this report