Gymnastics coach leaves for ‘personal reasons’

By The Associated Press

A University of Illinois gymnastics coach who trained U.S. gymnasts at the Beijing Olympics has resigned for “personal reasons,” a school official said Monday, and a published report said he was being investigated for possible misconduct.

Jon Valdez left his job as men’s assistant coach on Oct. 17, Assistant Athletic Director Kent Brown told The Associated Press on Monday night. The Chicago Tribune, citing unnamed sources, said Valdez resigned amid allegations of possible misconduct.

Robin Kaler, the university’s associate chancellor for public affairs, also said Monday that campus police were investigating a camera found in a locker room on campus.

However, Kaler declined to say whether that was linked to Valdez’s resignation. Brown was not sure where on campus the camera was found.

Valdez was a U.S. Olympic coach in Beijing and the personal coach for fellow Illini gymnastics coach Justin Spring, who won a bronze medal with the men’s team. Valdez had been on the Illini coaching staff since 2000.

There was no telephone listing for Valdez in Champaign or Urbana and no one answered the telephone at his former office after business hours Monday.

Neither Kaler nor Brown would elaborate on Valdez’s departure.

“The only thing I have the ability to confirm really is his employment status,” Brown said.