Odds and Ends: No rest, not even for dead, at foreclosed funeral home

By The Associated Press

PONTIAC, Mich. – Even the dead can’t escape foreclosure in suburban Detroit.

Five bodies and the cremated remains of 22 people were evicted Friday from a funeral home in Pontiac.

The remains from the House of Burns Memorial Chapel were delivered to the Oakland County medical examiner’s office for storage.

A medical examiner’s administrator, Robert Gerds, said some of the cremated remains date to the 1990s.

The county will send the bodies to another funeral home if a family member makes a claim.

A pastor who went to the building Friday to attend a funeral service says he disapproves of the timing and the way the eviction was carried out.

Detroit television stations also aired video of caskets being removed. Gerds says no bodies were inside.

Runaway poodle delays flights at Boston airport

BOSTON – Choochy the poodle is a “runway runaway.”

Boston’s Logan International Airport officials say Choochy escaped from her kennel as she was being unloaded after a flight from Detroit on Saturday night.

The dog then scampered across various runways and taxiways.

Airport spokesman Phil Orlandella says the poodle evaded airport personnel for more than 17 hours and delayed at least eight flights.

About 15 state police, firefighters, operations personnel and even electricians chased Choochy late into the night, delaying flights for up 30 minutes.

Orlandella says the poodle was frightened, tired and hungry.

She was finally lured to safety with food early Sunday afternoon.

The dog was treated for minor injuries at an animal hospital and returned to her family.

From Associated Press reports