Urbana parking study reported

By Crystal Kang

The Urbana City Council approved Monday night the final report on a parking study done between California and University avenues. Urbana Facilities Manager Pat Pioletti and Rich & Associates Planner John Revell collaboratively engaged in conducting field observations and surveys related to residents’ opinions about the accessibility of parking in downtown Urbana.

Revell said parking limits should be two hours, and that providing helpful signs that direct vehicles to open parking lots and marketing parking spaces in front of commercial locations to customers only are important measures to take. “The overall vision for this parking study is to increase the density and mixture of uses to provide more commercial opportunities,” Revell said.

Pioletti and Revell looked into the potential benefits of using street signs and new technology as ways to combat the issue of parking shortage in Urbana. They said having police officers consistently on location near parking meters will encourage residents to abide by the law. Those who do not abide by the rules will have an opportunity to redeem themselves the first few times.

“We can implement courtesy tickets, so the first time would be a freebie,” said Revell. “That way, we can focus on those who habitually break parking rules.”

Pioletti said there were four surveys dispatched last January. Two were directed toward employees and employers in the Lincoln Square area and two were given to employees and employers working downtown.