Republican incumbent Johnson beats Democratic challenger

By Daily llini Staff Report

While many Americans had their eyes glued to the television screen watching election results, Tim Johnson, Republican winner and incumbent for the 15th congressional district of Illinois, was working out at the University’s own Activities and Recreation Center (ARC).

“I didn’t even know what the results were,” Johnson said. “I was just finishing doing my sit-ups when my son called me.”

He left and joined the Champaign County Republicans to celebrate at Brookens Administrative Center, 1776 E. Washington St., Urbana.

At press time, Johnson had defeated his Democrat opponent, Steve Cox, in Champaign County 59 percent to 41 percent, with 68 percent of precincts reporting.

He said he was gratified not by his win but by his margin of win, which he had thought would be smaller.

Mayor Gerald Schweighart said he is pleased with the win.

“He (Johnson) doesn’t care if you’re Republican or Democrat, he always returns phone calls and is in close contact with his constituents,” Schweighart said. “People feel like they have a personal affiliation with him, and that’s what makes him so popular.”

Johnson said his constituents can expect him to continue the personal relationship with people in the district.

“Students are a big priority to me, and I am really gratified by the win and the margin of the win,” Johnson said. “I am grateful to the people of the district.”

Greg Parrish, a Champaign County Republican and University graduate student, is concerned with the transportation issue and does not want Amtrak to be bought out.

“I like Tim Johnson because he has been very concerned about the transportation issue, particularly regarding the delays on (train) service,” Parrish said.

Steve Cox, the Democratic candidate for the 15th Congressional District of Illinois, wore a Barack Obama pin as he gathered with the Champaign County Democrats at 88 Broadway, 138 Lincoln Square, Urbana. He said he knew he was a long shot and was happy to be the representative for the Democratic party.

“It wasn’t totally unexpected because Mr. Johnson has been strongly supported in his district,” Cox said.

He plans to continue working as a court-appointed special advocate volunteer, which helps foster children, and take an active role in his church.

Megan Kelly, Melissa Silverberg, Jennifer Wheeler, Kelly Gibbs and Lindsay Prossnitz contributed to this report.