Search ongoing for author of Halloween note

By Nicola Crean

University Police are not giving up on trying to find the author of the note that threatened to shoot someone on Green Street on Halloween night.

“The investigation is still continuing, and we are waiting on lab results that might help us out,” said Lt. “Skip” Frost of the University Police Department. “It would be great to levy some financial responsibility on whoever did this.”

He added that the overtime for officers from all departments, who worked Oct. 31, exceeded thousands of dollars.

“We are doing whatever we can to find the author of the note,” said Jeff Christensen, interim chief of the University Police Department.

Despite the threat of a campus shooting, Halloween night went as any other except for the extra police attendance throughout campus.

“We had additional police presence on almost every street corner of the Green Street corridor,” Frost said. “It was pretty obvious that we had air support.”

Although University officials could not go into the details of the tactics used on Halloween night, Frost said their team effort included other departments, such as Urbana and Champaign’s police departments and the Illinois State Police.

There was contact made with anyone who had fake weaponry as part of their costume, Christenson said. But overall, students were very supportive of police efforts.

Sgt. Bill Emery of the Illinois State Police said the students cooperated with police efforts, which resulted in a calm night.

“I would like to compliment the students in doing what they were supposed to do making sure nothing happened and watching one another,” Emery said. “It was unusual for people to compliment us for being on the streets.”

While the author of the note remains a mystery, students wonder if this will lead to other threats to campus.

“Since no one was caught and he didn’t get in trouble, people might try and do something like that,” said Beth Desamero, senior in LAS. “I think other people would do it as a joke because they know there are no consequences.”

Frost said not every threat would result in such extreme police action.

“It is always a concern that someone would see this and want to garner some attention,” Frost said. “We had to react and respond especially since there was verifiable information in it that led us to believe it was more credible.”

Emery said he did not think this would open things up for more threats.

“I think many people will think twice about doing something like this,” he said. “Especially since we are not through with the person who wrote this threat.”