Odds and Ends: Big purse stops bullet from hitting Tenn. student

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. – Don’t knock those trendy, oversized purses – they could save your life, as one college student found out.

Police say the contents in an oversized purse saved Elizabeth Pittenger, a 22-year-old Middle Tennessee State University student, by stopping a bullet during an attempted robbery.

Pittenger was walking to her car on campus Thursday evening when a man confronted her and demanded her purse, cell phone and laptop, university Police Chief Buddy Peaster said. She fought the man off, but he fired a gunshot before fleeing.

The bullet was found inside the purse, along with a calculator, umbrella and small case that had been punctured. Pittenger was not injured.

Busted drug dealers’ bling being auctioned by N.C.

RALEIGH, N.C. – If you’re in the market for a diamond-studded gold gorilla pendant, the North Carolina Department of Revenue may have just what you’re looking for – thanks to busted drug dealers.

The department hopes to auction hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of jewelry – including a $38,000 watch and a $23,000 gold pendant depicting Jesus – confiscated during drug busts over the past year by the department’s unauthorized substances division.

Necklaces, rings and bracelets will be available such as a five time zone watch with a face of sparkling yellow, pink and blue stones forming the continents on a world map.

From Associated Press reports

From Associated Press reports