Chief Illiniwek dances at Assembly Hall

Students protest against the event and Chief Illiniwek outside of Assembly Hall on Saturday afternoon. Erica Magda

unknown

By Sarah Small and Stephen Spector

Students for Chief Illiniwek, a University Registered Student Organization, hosted an event Saturday at the Assembly Hall that featured the return of the Chief for the first time after his retirement on Feb. 21, 2007.

An estimated 9,000 people attended the event, which was met with some resistance from Chief opponents.

Sections A and B of the arena filled. The majority of attendees sported Illinois colors of orange and blue, and many wore Chief apparel.

graphic

photo DI multimedia

photo

Supporters, protesters attend ‘The Next Dance’

Click to view a slideshow.

The event featured a multimedia presentation highlighting the history of the Chief tradition, acknowledgment of former portrayers of the Chief, a band of alumni performers, and a dance by current Chief portrayer, Logan Ponce.

President of Students for Chief Illiniwek Roberto Martell said the event was only the beginning and spoke of the qualities the Chief embodies for the University.

Bill Forsyth, who portrayed the Chief from 1984 to 1985 spoke at the event.

“It was a singular privilege to serve the University in the capacity, and for that we are always honored,” Forsyth said.

People gathered outside of the Assembly Hall to protest the event. The ralliers chanted “Don’t support the Chief, support UIUC,” and “People are not mascots, respect all people.”

Ruth Sierra, a senior in ACES, organized the rally, which originated as a Facebook event that publicized the protest.

“That’s all it is, a bunch of people who haven’t matured enough to quit playing Indian, even though they’ve been asked to stop,” said William Cook, a resident of Champaign.