Odds and Ends: Legal grind ends for woman accused of dirty dancing

By The Associated Press

MARSHALL, N.C. – Nobody puts Rebecca Willis in a corner.

A small mountain town has agreed to pay $275,000 for banning her from a community hangout after residents complained about her dirty dancing.

Willis, then 56, was told to stay away from the Marshall Depot community center eight years ago.

According to court documents, she was accused of gyrating and simulating sexual intercourse with her partner, while wearing a skirt short enough to expose her underwear. Willis described her dance style as “exuberant and flamboyant” but not obscene.

She’s still not allowed to return to the refurbished train station where she once danced and socialized, but she said that’s OK with her.

Her attorney, Jon Sasser, said the town strongly opposes lifting the ban.

“They said they’d burn the place down before they let her come back, so we decided to see if they’d put a monetary price on the right,” he said.

The American Civil Liberties Union of North Carolina Legal Foundation announced the settlement Thursday.

Empty cash drawers thwart attempt at bank robbery

YORK, Pa. – Police say a central Pennsylvania man tried to rob a bank – but tellers’ empty cash drawers thwarted his attempt.

Springettsbury Township Police Lt. Scott Laird says the tellers were waiting for their cash drawers to be filled when a man entered a Susquehanna Bank branch Thursday morning and demanded money. The first teller fainted; the next two showed him their empty drawers.

Laird says the robber then threatened to file a complaint with bank management before leaving.

A customer at the drive-through called 911. A 48-year-old Windsor Township man was arrested about 10 blocks away and was held in the York County Prison in lieu of $25,000 bail. He is charged with criminal attempt to commit robbery.