Students seek out alternative entertainment

Sideshow performer Loren Freakshow Foley, performs sword-swallowing for students at the Illinites Cirque de la Lune

Sideshow performer Loren “Freakshow” Foley, performs sword-swallowing for students at the Illinites Cirque de la Lune

By Melissa Silverberg

Magicians, a man swallowing swords, henna tattoos and The Dark Knight – not a typical Friday night for most college students. But for Jennifer Mazuera it’s a welcome change.

“I like coming to Illinites because its different than the typical bar scene,” said Mazuera, senior in Business.

Mazuera said that while she drinks once in a while, she feels it is important to support events such as Illinites.

Many University students have found alternative ways to spend their time on campus without the influence of alcohol.

graphic

photo DI multimedia

photo

Illinites entertain at Union

Click to view a slideshow.

When Patricia Richardson was a freshman at the University she was looking for a way to have fun and meet new people. But unlike other students, Richardson wanted to do all of this without drinking.

Richardson, now a sophomore in LAS, founded Students For Positive Choices, a Registered Student Organization dedicated to making sure students do not feel pressured to drink or put themselves in uncomfortable situations.

Richardson is just one of the approximately 25 percent of University students who chooses to stay sober throughout college, said Betsy Peterson, ACE IT program coordinator.

“At first it was because I thought alcohol was a bad thing,” Richardson said. “With alcohol, people get into situations they wouldn’t have normally gotten into if they had not been drinking.”

While there are dozens of places for students to drink around campus, the University offers several programs to educate students on alternative weekend activities.

ACE IT is a mandatory freshman orientation program consisting of skits describing various alcohol-related situations, Peterson said.

“ACE IT is a harm reduction program,” Peterson said. “Our intention is not to preach abstinence, but to help students explore choices they might be making and safety around drinking.

Peterson suggested exploring the Illini Union for various entertainment opportunities as well as the options the Illini Union Board provides.

“The prevailing attitude I hear from students is that the University doesn’t provide much,” Peterson said. “There is a lot to do on this campus. You just have to be willing to work a little harder to find it.”

Peterson said it is really up to the student to find activities he or she enjoys, which leads to many students creating organizations or events. Going to the movies, ice skating, snowball fights, bowling in the Illini Union or a trip to Curtis Apple Orchard are just some suggestions several students had for alternative weekend activities.

“College is a great opportunity to meet others and learn about different people and things,” Peterson said. “But if all you are doing is spending time in the bars, you really are not taking advantage of all college has to offer.”

Illinites is a free event sponsored by the Illini Union Board to provide weekend activities for students. The Illini Union Board has a significant increase in attendance at each of their Illinites events since last semester, said Mara Dahlgren, sophomore in LAS and committee chair for Illinites.

“We are very pleased,” Dahlgren said. “We are really creating great programs with things people are interested in and want to see.”

While there will be a total of four Illinites events during the fall semester, Dahlgren said in the past they would hold seven in the same amount of time. The number of programs had to be cut because of a loss in funding for Illinites. The program used to receive funding through student tuition and fees, but is now just being funded through the Illini Union Board budget.

“I think people want to make friends,” Dahlgren said. “They come to this campus as a freshman and it’s hard to find people who choose an alternative activity on the weekend. You want to fit in and you want to make friends.”

The Illini Union Board also sponsors lectures, weekend entertainment, comedy nights, musicals, art shows and other activities.

“I think the University does a good job, people just aren’t looking,” Dahlgren said. “There is always marketing up and there are places where people can find this information. It’s just easier for people to just go to the bars.”

With most Campustown bars allowing students in at 19 and a large Greek system, the Campustown scene can sometimes contribute to the pressure students feel to drink.

However, some students are able to go out and socialize at bars or parties and have fun without feeling pressured.

“You need to be comfortable with your friends and they need to be comfortable with you not drinking,” said Peterson.

Whitney Perkowitz, sophomore in LAS, said that she still has fun going out even without drinking because she just enjoys dancing and being with her friends.

“I say no and that’s fine, we all just dance,” Perkowitz said.

While Richardson said she does not normally go to bars or feel pressured into drinking, she understands that the pressure is out there.

“People should do whatever they are comfortable with,” Richardson added.