Illinois behind in security camera count

By Jill Disis

While the University possesses several forms of security – emergency phones, Saferides, and Safewalks, among others – outdoor security cameras remain a nonexistent presence. There are cameras at the Illini Union, CRCE, Assembly Hall and Memorial Stadium, but no outdoor security cameras around campus have been installed. While the University does not yet have funding for cameras, many other universities are making it a priority to increase the number of cameras on campus.

Why UI doesn’t

Lt. Roy Acree of University Police said the amount of people on campus contributes to the inability to afford outdoor cameras at this time. Jeff Christensen, interim chief of University police, said Illinois currently lacks the security policy needed to secure further interest in more security cameras.

Why others do

Kurt Feavel from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Police Department said while outdoor security cameras do not necessarily prevent crime, they do assist in solving it. Don Reed, Penn State Police security systems specialist, said the cameras are mostly used for solving problems involving destruction of property and theft issues for a safer campus.

How it affects UI

Cameras are useful in going back and finding criminals, said Brad Allison, crime prevention specialist for the University of Iowa police. Other universities have implemented more advanced security. The most recent addition at the University of Minnesota incorporates behavior recognition into camera systems. This allows for detecting potential robbery, assault and suicide.