Champaign teacher killed in car crash this morning

By Kate Szyszka

Champaign County Coroner, Duane Northrup released the name of the woman killed in a two vehicle collision that occurred early this morning, says a press release.

The victim, Venita Hubbard, 32 of Champaign was involved in the crash on Bloomington Road near Jeanne Street in Champaign. Police found Hubbard trapped in a 1993 Mercedes Benz 400C, said a police statement.

Hubbard had been traveling westbound on Bloomington Road when she lost control of the car and entered the eastbound lane and collided with a Chevrolet pick-up truck.

She was immediately transported to Carle Foundation Hospital in Urbana. There are no injuries reported for the male driver of the truck. She was pronounced dead at 8:10 a.m. this morning at Carle Hospital.

The death is being investigated by the Champaign Police Department and the Champaign County Coroner’s Office.

Hubbard taught third grade at Garden Hills Elementary school in Champaign. The Champaign Unit Four School District released a statement saying that social workers will be helping students and staff at the school dealing with grief associated with her death.

“We are certainly stunned and saddened,” said Beth Shepperd, assistant superintendent for human relations and community relations for the district.

The class Hubbard taught will have substitute teachers until the district finds a permanent replacement, said Shepperd.

“We are going to have very careful with the students because that is their teacher and they love her,” Shepperd said. “We will have to be very sensitive as we move forward.”