Head volleyball coach Hardin announces retirement

By Kate Szyszka

Head volleyball coach Don Hardin announced his retirement on Monday after 21 years of coaching, 13 of which were spent at the University, according to a press release.

“This announcement comes as no surprise to our players, recruits, staff or those close to our volleyball network,” Hardin said in a press release. “This has been part of a plan for me to transition on to other things while I have the energy and time to do it. An important component to that plan was to leave this program in great shape.”

Hardin wants to pursue a career in teaching at a college level, among other things.

Hardin has led a successful career in coaching at the University.

Hardin’s teams have averaged 20 wins per season and Hardin was named conference coach of the year four times as Metro Coach of the Year in 1991, Conference USA Coach of the Year in 1995 and Big Ten Coach of the Year in both 2001 and 2003.

“Thirteen years ago Don Hardin was our first choice to return to his Alma Mater as our volleyball coach,” said Illinois Athletic Director Ron Guenther in a press release. “He was a part of our Final Four Teams and proved himself as a head coach at Louisville. He has done an exceptional job not only with the wins and losses, but also with our young women who have had many positive experiences both on the court and in the classroom. Don leaves the program primed for success in the immediate future. We wish he and Kim the best of luck as they move into a new phase of their lives.”