Residents petition for replanting

By Crystal Kang

Several Urbana neighbors from Sunnycrest Court petitioned the Urbana City Council at a meeting Monday to replace the destroyed forestry that once flourished in their cul-de-sac.

The neighbors discovered the open gap in the cul-de-sac surrounded by East and West Sunnycrest and Burkwood Courts on Oct. 31.

After resident Emily Svendsen called the city, she found out that the city’s forestry department obliterated the greenery in the cul-de-sac. Svendsen was upset that the neighbors were not given a notification prior to plowing through the greenery.

Svendsen said there was a single complaint that the greenery in the cul-de-sac made it difficult and too dark for a neighbor to walk her dog.

“She doesn’t even live near the cul-de-sac,” said Svendsen. “There are plenty of well-lit streets adjacent to her house to walk her dog.”

After a delayed response in replacing the disappeared shrubbery, resident Erin Bullok made a proposal to the City Council.

“A car passed through the dirt making this cul-de-sac a through street,” said Bullok. “We feel this is a serious issue that affects the nature of the environment. What we’re asking now is that the city policy be renewed and that the neighborhood be involved in replanting this area.”

An equivocal concern that the neighbors have about the wide open cul-de-sac is that the park that was once tucked away in the shrubbery is no longer a safe place for children play.

The city public works department apologized for its delayed response to the neighbors’ concern about the open cul-de-sac.

“We’re going to try to make this better,” said Public Works Director Bill Gray. “We pride ourselves in getting people involved. My apologies to your neighbors.”