Victim of Champaign County car crash missed by alumna of sorority

By Hannah Hess

The 32-year-old University alumna who lost control of her car on an icy road near Champaign Monday morning will be missed by her Alpha Kappa Alpha sorority sisters, graduate chapter vice president Jolynn Caroline said.

Venita Hubbard, who was pronounced dead at 8:10 a.m. Monday after the two vehicle collision, served actively as the sergeant at arms of the Alpha Kappa Alpha graduate chapter.

“She had such a sweet personality-very loyal, extremely hardworking and dedicated,” said Caroline, who is the associate director of career services in the College of Law. She described Hubbard as “a quite person, but she definitely had a presence.”

Hubbard was a native of Champaign who met Caroline during her senior year of high school, when both were debutants at the annual Cotillion Ball. The two became sisters when Hubbard joined the sorority as an undergraduate in 1998. Hubbard continued her education, receiving a Master of Education from the University and maintained a friendship with Caroline.

“She participated in all of our events. One of her big projects was the Thanksgiving baskets at our church,” Caroline said.

The Alpha Kappa Alpha graduate chapter intends to do a memorial service for Hubbard, but no date has yet been set, according to Caroline. The organization is also looking into providing provisions for Hubbard’s children.