Odds and Ends: The one that didn’t get away yields long-lost ring

By The Associated Press

BUNA, Texas – The one that didn’t get away held an unlikely surprise for a Texas man.

The blue-stoned class ring of Joe Richardson, engraved with his name, turned up inside an 8-pound bass 21 years after he lost it while fishing on Lake Sam Rayburn.

“My first reaction was – you gotta be kidding,” he said Wednesday.

The fisherman who discovered the tarnished ring inside his catch contacted Richardson on Nov. 28 in Buna, about 100 miles northeast of Houston, after tracking him down through the Internet.

The fisherman asked to remain anonymous.

Richardson, 41, said he lost the ring about two weeks after his 1987 graduation from Universal Technical Institute in Houston. His mom had bought it for about $200 and wasn’t pleased when it went missing.

As a mechanic, Richardson said he doesn’t wear jewelry so he tucked the undamaged ring away.

“I have not cleaned it,” he said. “I told my wife I don’t want to clean it.”

Son charged with throwing Christmas tree at father

PARRISH, Fla. – Authorities say a Florida man who lives with his parents has been charged with attacking his father with a Christmas tree and its metal stand.

According to the Manatee County sheriff’s report, 37-year-old Thomas Edward Lackie was arrested and charged with felony assault last week.

Authorities say he threw the 3-foot Christmas tree at his father but missed. They say he then tried to use its steel base to strike him. His father and mother subdued him.

The Sarasota Herald-Tribune reports that he denied trying to strike his father.

Authorities didn’t im